Friday, March 04, 2005

Starbucks can really open a person's eyes

Ok, I admit it, i'm a fan of Starbucks. Yeah, i know that it's so taking over the entire world and people who go there think they are cool because they go there and everyone is obsessed with getting the "perfect" cup of coffee; but i'm a sucker for it. Where else in the state of Indiana can you see a Professional and a Goth sharing the same table?
I think the great thing about a place like Starbucks is that anyone and everyone feels comfortable there (ok, maybe not everyone; but there certainly is a sense of diversity... wait, maybe i'm totally off, but bare with me). I love the atmosphere; people chatting about the weather, people reading books about Nietzsche, the aromatic smell of coffee and chocolate making everyone a little dizzy and consequently much more agreeable. What is better than happy people and a warm cup of coffee in the company of a great book, or a great friend? (ok so, not everyone likes coffee, and some people don't like friends or books for that matter... but just imagine it!)
Anyway, Starbucks isn't really the reason that I started writing this. It was something that struck me while walking out of Starbucks today. I saw a perfect family. You know what i mean; the expensive luxury car without a spot of dirt, the beautiful, PTA president wife and the handsome, net worth: 2 million dollars, husband along with the adorable and amazingly brilliant and "never runs with scissors" son. I had to swallow several times to keep from gagging on my Mocha Frappacinno and then smiled politely as they held the door for me.
I walked to my car and laughed. I never want to be the perfect family. I don't want to be the quiet wife who watches her husband work while she stays at home knitting sweaters for her nicely dressed son and daughter. There is nothing wrong with that, but it's not for me. i want my family to be loud and happy and messy. To laugh at stupid jokes and themselves and know when to have a good time. I want my family to be more concerned about spending time with each other than about the money we make. I want my family to experience life, go camping, play with dirt, travel to different countries and walk the streets with the poor. I don't want them to be spoiled and have everything they could imagine; i want them to understand the pain of others and not be afraid to cry when they themselves hurt. I want a family that reaches out and expresses themselves freely. i don't want to subscribe to the American dream, with the white pickett fence and the dog and 2.5 children. NO. It's not for me. But, more power to you, perfect families for you make my definition of dysfunctional so much easier to describe!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.